The Farmington Farmers and Artisans Market opens its 25th season Saturday at the Walter E. Sundquist Pavilion and Riley Park in downtown Farmington. Here’s what you should know about this spring celebration:
9 a.m.-2 p.m. The market will officially open around 9:20 a.m. with a bell ringing at the close of the opening ceremony.
The market will have a full complement of vendors from around the area selling Michigan products and produce. Opening day is Flower Day – so look for lots of blooms from local growers.
A 2017 study showed that public parking lots downtown hit 100 percent occupancy during the Saturday market, so pack your patience when you head out. Your best bets:
- Walk or bike
- Village Commons shopping center, located on the north side of Grand River and a block and a half east of Riley Park
- Public lot at the Masonic Hall
- Parking spaces along Farmington Road north of Grand River
Watch for posted 3-hour time limits in parking lots at the Downtown Farmington Center and north of Grand River.
According to the National Weather Service, we may see showers, with thunderstorms possible after 1 p.m. High near 75.
The 9 a.m. ceremony begins with the Farmington High School Drumline, Groves-Walker American Legion Post color guard, and Heather Yanke Lunneberg singing the National Anthem. Emcee will be WJBK-TV anchor and reporter Amy Lange. Guest speakers will include:
- Farmington Mayor Steve Schneeman
- Connie O’Malley, President, Beaumont Hospital, Farmington Hills
- Dirk Beamer, Wright Beamer Attorneys
- Coach Terry Schalk, Store Director, Fresh Thyme
- Kelly Wilson, Taste the Local Difference Magazine
- Mary Martin, Executive Director, Greater Farmington Area Chamber of Commerce
- 9:20 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Music with Larry Arbour
- 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Swing into Spring with Swing Farmington – free swing dance lessons
- 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. American Legion Groves-Walker Post serving hot dogs
- 11 a.m. Cooking Demo with Chef Zachariah Peterlin, Peterlin’s Restaurant
- All day – Little Sprouts Children’s Activity Corner near the pavilion
- All day – Health screenings by Beaumont Farmington Hills Hospital staff
Learn more about the market at farmingtonfarmersmarket.com.