Absent voter (AV) ballots should be arriving in mailboxes over the next few weeks, and with changes to Michigan law, many voters are casting a ballot this way for the first time.
The Farmington Hills City Clerk’s office offers the following tips for anyone casting an AV ballot:
- Instructions on voting your ballot are included with the ballot. Please read them carefully.
- ONLY use a black or blue ink pen to vote your ballot.
- NEVER use white-out on your ballot.
- DO NOT vote for more candidates than indicated under each office title.
- Place the ballot back in the secrecy sleeve and then in the return envelope.
- Don’t forget to SIGN the return envelope before sending in your ballot. Only the voter may sign their return ballot envelope.
- Be sure to include proper postage if mailing your ballot. As an alternative, drop boxes are available at Farmington Hills and Farmington City Halls, with no postage is required.
- Anyone who helps a voter cast an AV ballot must also sign the envelope in the space provided. The voter must still sign the return envelope where designated.
If you make a mistake on your ballot, you may receive a new ballot by coming in to the City Clerk’s Office – 31555 W. 11 Mile Rd. in Farmington Hills, and 23600 Liberty St. in Farmington – or by calling the City Clerk’s Office, 248-871-2410 in Farmington Hills and 248-474-5500, ext. 2218 in Farmington. You are required to submit a request in writing to spoil the original ballot and receive a new one.