The first person buried at Farmington’s Oakwood Cemetery was a Mr. Green, the village cobbler, in 1825. For a long time, the Memorial Day parade ended at the top of the hill at the back of the cemetery, by the water tower – until the late 1950s or early ‘60s, when the veterans’ monument was moved downtown near the Masonic Temple.
Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor. More at preservationfarmington.org.