The Hillside Elementary School Parent Teacher Association (PTA) has been awarded a $5,000 COVID-19 relief grant through the National PTA, with support from the TikTok social media platform.
The $1.25 million in grant dollars have been distributed to more than 150 schools across the country designated as PTA Schools of Excellence. The emergency funding is intended to allow PTAs to meet pressing needs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hillside PTA Treasurer Courtney Chang wrote the grant. The school and PTA have decided to focus the new resources on Distance Learning and Social-Emotional Support, with initiatives such as:
- Ensuring that all guidance to parents is provided in appropriate languages.
- Sharing distance learning and enrichment resources.
- Coordinating the creation of learning supply kits.
- Virtual contests, daily challenges, and morale boosters to lift spirits.
- Promoting family engagement activities.
- Coordinating the creation of wellbeing kits (first aid, hygiene &/or mental health care packages).