Farmington Public Schools trustees are expected to take action July 21 on a new Learning Management System for remote education and on employee contracts for teachers, administrators, and transportation, maintenance/cafeteria, and support staff.
The virtual meeting begins at 6 p.m., using the WebEx platform.
The Learning Management System, which replaces Google Classroom, would allow parents to track student progress, receive notifications from teachers, and use a single sign-on for every student in the family. Officials say it offers a “more robust digital learning environment”.
In a memo, Assistant Superintendent Dr. Kelly Coffin said the Learning Environments team has recommended Canvas, offered by Utah-based Instructure. The cost of the three-year contract is $202,500.
Officials will also take a look at a diversity proclamation that expands on one approved in June. Among other things, the new document:
- acknowledges Farmington’s abolitionist history,
- provides a demographic breakdown of the student body,
- declares the district an anti-racist institution,
- declares racism a public health crisis,
- authorizes the superintendent to work with local police departments, which provide resource officers, to review standards and practices,
- ends the district’s celebration of Columbus Day, and
- calls for recognition of Indigenous Peoples and their contributions in FPS curriculum.
Other agenda items include:
- updates on back to school plans, custodial services, IT transition, 2020 graduation, and an open assistant superintendent position;
- Title IX policy revisions;
- public comment guidelines; and
- a change to the August board meeting schedule
Meeting agenda and supporting materials are posted at meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Agenda/1087?meeting=349189
To submit public comments, write to email@example.com or call 248-426-5000 before approximately 6:10 p.m. on July 21. Comments will be read during the meeting by the Board President.
Anyone who needs special accommodations to participate should call Diane Bauman, Director, School/Community Relations, 248-426-5000.
The meeting will be broadcast live on TV-10, the District’s cable channel, and live-streamed at farmington.vod.castus.tv/vod.
Correction: The link to the board meeting agenda and supporting materials is meetings.boardbook.org/Public/Agenda/1087?meeting=349189