Farmington Public Schools’ (FPS) Middle School Science Olympiad students placed among the top 10 teams at the Birmingham Covington Middle School Science Olympiad Invitational, held Saturday, Feb. 3.
All four FPS middle schools competed against 40 other schools from across Michigan. Power Middle School placed seventh overall and received a trophy for sixth place among the schools.
Invitational events provide students an opportunity to prepare for the regional and state competitions. Founded in 1984, Science Olympiad is one of the premier science competitions in the nation, providing rigorous, standards-based challenges to 7,800 teams in all 50 states.
The following FPS middle school students competed in the event:
Power Middle School – 7th Place Overall, trophy for 6th Place among schools
- 1st place in Roller Coaster – Maddie Newton & Noreen Bongado
- 2nd place in Fast Facts – Praneet Voleti & Saketh Ram Kolichina
- 2nd place in Road Scholar – Maddie Newton & Praneet Voleti
- 3rd place in Experimental Design – Madhumitha Rajaprakash & Praneet Voleti
- 4th place in Towers – Saketh Ram Kolichina & Shrika Gubbala
- 5th place in Mystery Architecture – Keshav Sriram & Saketh Ram Kolichina
- 8th place in Anatomy – Noreen Bongado & Saketh Ram Kolichina
- 8th place in Dynamic Planet – Madhumitha Rajaprakash & Shrika Gubbala
- 8th place in Optics – Madhumitha Rajaprakash & Saketh Ram Kolichina
East Middle School – 15th Place Overall
4th place in Write It Do It – Dylan Dancel & Shriya Rajesh
- 5th place in Roller Coaster – Shriya Rajesh & Yasaswini Kamety
- 7th place in Experimental Design – Anish Gaddam, Kanksha Jinna & Ramya Ramkumar
- 7th place in Hovercraft – Anish Gaddam & Kanksha Jinna
Farmington STEAM Academy
- 3rd place in Roller Coaster – Shreyas Narayanan & Amatullah Poonawala
- 3rd place in Towers – Mariam Safirta & Nitya Sankar
- 5th place in Experimental Design – Preeti Sonawane & Preya Patel
- 8th place in Hovercraft – Alpana Rajagopal & Amatullah Poonawala
Warner Middle School
- 1st place in Rocks and Minerals – Varun Agrawal
- 2nd place in Anatomy – Yash Mehta
Science Olympiad aims to increase K-12 student and teacher participation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Learn more at soinc.org.
Do you appreciate our sharing this and other local stories? Support Farmington Voice with a monthly or one-time contribution.