On Thursday, Farmington Public Schools honored 28 students who made transformative changes in their school work and lives.
The 2019 Turn Around Awards Program recognized four students from each middle school, two students from the K-8 STEAM Academy, four students from each comprehensive high school, and two students from the alternative high school for their hard work.
The event, held at Glen Oaks Country Club in Farmington Hills, included music by the North Farmington High School String Quartet, under the direction of John Kennedy, and remarks from Superintendent George Heitsch, Farmington Hills Police Chief Chuck Nebus, and Farmington Public Safety Director Frank Demers. Featured speaker Terry Deichert, owner of Farmington Hills-based Roof Management Company, Inc., shared a personal inspirational story and suggestions for students to follow on their continued journey of success.
Cheryl Newcomer, teacher at Power Middle School, said honoree Jenn Maurer, an 8th grader, embodies the word “perseverance”.
“Over the last few years, she has matured into a thoughtful and well-mannered student, who tackles the hardships in front of her,” Newcomer said in a press release.
Ben Glickman, a student at Warner Middle School, has had a “remarkable” eighth grade year, guidance counselor David Chomet said.
“His personal and emotional growth and maturity have been tremendous. During his middle school years, there have been times where Ben has had to work very hard to manage his emotional reactions appropriately in school. As an eighth grader, Ben has consistently made good decisions by displaying mature and responsible responses when needed,” Chomet said.
Here’s the full list of 2019 Turn Around Award winners:
- Julian Ama – Grade 10 – Harrison High School
- David Bitson – Grade 11 – Harrison High School
- Duane Cole – Grade 11 – North Farmington High School
- James Cole – Grade 8 – Power Middle School
- Elliott Divetta – Grade 11 – Farmington High School
- Lucas Dumitrescu – Grade 12 – Farmington High School
- Ian Dunn – Grade 9 – Harrison High School
- Ben Glickman – Grade 8 – Warner Middle School
- DeAria Hutchinson – Grade 8 – Warner Middle School
- Patryk Marshick – Grade 12 – North Farmington High School
- Benicio Martinez-Bassett – Grade 7 – Farmington STEAM Academy
- Jenna Maurer – Grade 8 – Power Middle School
- Marcellus Montgomery – Grade 8 – Power Middle School
- James Neuhaus – Grade 12 – Farmington High School
- Devon Osborn – Grade 12 – Farmington Central High School
- Sydney Pham – Grade 8 – East Middle School
- Anthony Ramirez – Grade 8 – East Middle School
- Christopher Redding – Grade 8 – Power Middle School
- Elijah Richards – Grade 8 – Farmington STEAM Academy
- Jeff Rogers – Grade 12 – Farmington High School
- Josh Rushing – Grade 7 – East Middle School
- Miranda Spisak – Grade 12 – Harrison High School
- Ryan Tawney – Grade 12 – North Farmington High School
- Liam Thompson – Grade 8 – Warner Middle School
- Evelyn Walugembe – Grade 8 – East Middle School
- Anna Whitfield – Grade 11 – North Farmington High School
- Quinten Wilk – Grade 10 – Farmington Central High School
- Dominic Wilson – Grade 8 – Warner Middle School