The Farmington Area Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) will present a free series of CERT training sessions from 6 to 9 p.m. every Wednesday, from September 11 through October 30.
Classes will take place at the Novi Police Department Training Room, 45125 W. 10 Mile Road and at Novi Fire Station #4, 49375 W. 10 Mile Road. Training sessions are open to adults and children ages 14 and up who are accompanied by an adult.
The CERT training will prepare citizens to rely on each other when first responders who provide fire and medical services are unable to meet immediate needs. Participants will learn what to expect in terms of emergency services, individual responsibility for preparedness, and lifesaving skills. Topics include:
• Disaster Preparedness: Appropriate actions before, during, and after a disaster.
• Disaster Fire Suppression: Safe use of fire extinguishers, hazardous materials awareness, and fire suppression strategies.
• Disaster Medical Operations, Part 1: Simple techniques to treat airway obstruction, bleeding, and shock.
• Disaster Medical Operations, Part 2: Medical assessments, establishing a treatment area, and performing basic first aid.
• CPR/AED and Stop the Bleed tourniquet techniques.
• Light Search and Rescue Operations: Strategies, search techniques, rescuer safety, and awareness of electrical and natural gas hazards.
• Disaster Psychology and the Incident Command System: Symptoms experienced by disaster victims and workers, and an explanation of the Incident Command System.
Candidates who complete all session and undergo a background clearance will receive a backpack containing basic supplies and equipment.
For more information or to register, contact Tim Tutak at 248-417-0930 or email@example.com.