The Farmington Hills/Farmington Emergency Preparedness Commission (EPC) will present a free series of Citizen Emergency Response Team (CERT) training sessions on Tuesdays, September 11 through November 3, with an additional class on Wednesday, September 26.
The 6 p.m.-9 p.m. classes will take place in the City of Novi at the Novi Police Department Training Room, 45125 W. 10 Mile Rd. and at Novi Fire Station 4, 49375 W. 10 Mile Rd.
Open to adults and children ages 14 and up accompanied by an adult, CERT training prepares citizens to rely on each other when first responders are unable to meet immediate needs. Topics include:
- Disaster Preparedness: Appropriate actions before, during, and after a disaster.
- Light Search and Rescue Operations: Strategies and search techniques, with a focus on rescuer safety.
- Disaster Medical Operations, Part I: Diagnosing and treating airway obstruction, bleeding, and shock with simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
- Disaster Medical Operations, Part II: Evaluating patients by doing a head to toe assessment, establishing a safe and sanitary medical treatment area, and performing basic first aid and Stop the Bleed tourniquet training.
- CPR/AED: Performing adult CPR and using an Automated External Defibrillator. (Infant and child CPR will be covered upon request.)
- Disaster Fire Suppression: Safe use of fire extinguishers, hazardous materials awareness, fire suppression strategies, and how to safely turn off utilities.
- Disaster Psychology: Symptoms experienced by disaster victims and workers and immediate care.
- Animals in Disaster: How to handle frightened animals, who may act very differently during and after a disaster.
For more information, contact Tim Tutak at 248-417-0930 or email@example.com.