The 26th Annual “Day for Strings” program, designed to showcase the Farmington Public Schools orchestra program, offers activities for students and two free concerts on Saturday, November 17, at North Farmington High School in Farmington Hills.
Many of the guest artists/clinicians are not only accomplished musicians, but are residents of Farmington, Farmington Hills and the surrounding areas. In addition, guest conductors from outside the community will work with students in unique ensemble and full string orchestra settings.
More than 900 string orchestra students will participate in rehearsals, clinics, and section rehearsals, starting at 7:45 a.m. “Informances” will be held at 11 a.m., with morning session students – 5th grade, 7th grade and High School Vivace orchestras, and at 3:30 p.m., with afternoon session students – 6th grade, 8th grade, and High School Presto orchestras.
Both performances will be held in the gymnasium at the school, 32900 W. 13 Mile Road in Farmington Hills.
Guest artists will include:
- Pam Kilbride, Berkley Public Schools
- Sarah Lenhart, Hudsonville Public Schools
- Wendy Stuart, Clarkston Public Schools
- Jonathan Glawe, Ann Arbor Public Schools
The district’s musical faculty includes
- Peggy Babcock – Warner Middle School and Harrison High School
- Steve Button – Forest Elementary School
- Sydney Campbell – Hillside and Kenbrook Elementary Schools, Warner Middle School
- Dave Drake – Beechview and Lanigan Elementary Schools, East Middle School
- Katelyn Fauls – Hillside and Kenbrook Elementary Schools, Warner Middle School
- John Kennedy – Warner Middle School and North FarmingtonHigh School
- Caitlin Mihalko – Beechview and Lanigan Elementary Schools, East Middle School
- Ted McDonald – Power Middle School and Farmington High School
- Tom Schroeder – Harrison High School
- Kevin Scollin – STEAM Academy and Warner Middle School
- Michael Steele – Farmington High School
- Nick Taylor – STEAM Academy and Warner Middle School
- Catha Thomas – Wood Creek Elementary School
- Sandy Vargo – Gill and Longacre Elementary Schools, Power Middle School
- Clayton Wachholz – North Farmington High School
- Rob Wilson – Gill and Longacre Elementary Schools, Power Middle School
The concerts will show the developmental stages of Farmington Public Schools’ string program and also celebrate string playing in general. This event epitomizes the fact that music and the arts encourage lifelong learning and community participation. All are welcome and encouraged to attend!