Very few businesses survive more than 100 years, but one downtown Farmington firm is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year.
Founded on January 13, 1868, with an appointment from the Home Insurance Company, the Farmington Insurance Agency has ties to one of Farmington’s prominent founding families. P. Dean Warner, father of Michigan governor Fred M. Warner, took over the agency in 1870 and owned it for the next 32 years.
Warner was followed by Clinton W. Wilbur in 1902, A.A. Bruder in 1911, and Edgar S. Pierce from 1914 to 1952, when John M. Clappison acquired the agency. He was later joined by partner William J. Conroy in 1957. Conroy was a former Chamber of Commerce president.
John Clappison’s son, David, is active in the agency today and has been joined by current partner-member Patrick M. Donnelly. The agency has always been located in downtown Farmington and at its current address since 1963.
Agency members and staff have supported the Downtown Development Authority, Greater Farmington Founders Festival, Farmington Farmers and Artisans Market, and the Chamber of Commerce, along with the Optimist and Xemplar civic clubs.
“Farmington Insurance Agency, LLC considers the Farmington community as family, and plans to continue the 150-year tradition of commitment. Its founders believed in contributing, supporting, and giving back to the community it serves,” a statement from the company noted.
Learn more at farmingtoninsagency.com.