Sitting on the southernmost border of Oakland County, Farmington provides an island of historic charm in the northwest suburbs of Detroit, Michigan.
Neighboring Farmington Hills surrounds the city, except for a small southern border with Livonia. The vibrant, walkable central business district, located on Grand River Avenue between Oakland and Mayfield Streets, also serves as the heart of the community, with the Walter E. Sundquist Farmington Pavilion and Riley Park serving as a venue for year-round activities and events.
Founded in 1824 by Farmington, New York, native Arthur Power, the community formed around the intersection of the Orchard Lake, Grand River, and Shiawassee Native American trails. The city’s historic district boasts homes and other structures that are more than 100 years old, including Farmington’s first post office, the Masonic Hall (formerly township hall), First Baptist Church, and the First United Methodist Church.
Today, this 2.7-square-mile city is home to more than 10,000 residents. Farmington’s population has remained fairly steady since 1990.
Population: 10,372 (4,624 households)
Race: 71.5% White, 13.9% Asian, 11.4% African American, 2.1% Hispanic or Latino, 0.4% Native American, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.4% other races, and 2.1% two or more races
Median age: 39.5 years
Median income: $56,442
Poverty: 4.4% of the population, 5.5% of children under 18, and 7.6% of adults 65 and older live below the poverty line.
- City of Farmington, 23600 Liberty Street farmgov.com
- Strong city manager form of government with an elected city council and an appointed mayor
- Farmington Public Schools, 32500 Shiawassee Street farmington.k12.mi.us
- Oakland County oakgov.com
- Farmington is represented in District 14
- State House District 37
- State Senate District 14
- 11th Congressional District
Governor Warner Mansion – 33805 Grand River
This Victorian Italianate home, built in 1867 by Farmington pioneer P. Dean Warner. His son, Fred Maltby Warner, was Michigan’s only three-term governor, serving from 1905 to 1911.
Fred and Martha Warner’s daughter, Edessa Warner Slocum, was the last resident of the home. It was deeded to the City of Farmington in 1980 by the Warners’ grandchildren, Susan Slocum Klingbeil and William Wanton Slocum, Jr., for use as a museum.
The three-acre property also includes a carriage barn, a gazebo, and several gardens that are planted and maintained by volunteers.
Masonic Hall – 23715 Farmington Rd.
Built in 1876, this red brick building with its distinctive mansard roof was designed as a replacement for village offices destroyed by a catastrophic 1872 fire that destroyed much of downtown Farmington. The local Masons contributed to the cost of the project, in exchanged for a lease of the second floor.
Over the years, the building has housed city and township offices, and the Farmington library. The Masons purchased it in 1963 and since then have used it for their own activities and rented out the building for private and community events.
The Winery/Powerhouse – 31505 Grand River
This massive brick structure, built in 1889, has served over the years as a powerhouse for the Detroit United Railway electric rail system and as LaSalle Winery’s production and distribution facility. A local family bought the building in the 1970s and converted the warehouse and even some of the wine vats into office spaces.
Shiawassee Park – A branch of the Rouge River runs through the city’s largest park, which is located on Shiawassee between Farmington and Power Roads. The park has walking trails, baseball diamonds, a playscape, a large picnic shelter, and rest rooms. Facilities are available for rent.
Drake Park – Located on Drake Road north of Grand River, this park has four ball fields, tennis courts, a soccer field, playscape, a picnic shelter, and restrooms.
Women’s Park – Thank the Ladies Literary Club for this small, passive park in the southwest corner of Grand River and Oakland Street, established in 1899. It offers walking paths and benches.
Memorial Park – Located just west of the Masonic Hall on Grand River at Oakland Street, this small park has a monument that pays tribute to locals who died in the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I.
Riley Park – This park, along with the Walter E. Sundquist Farmington Pavilion, serves as a hub of activity through all four seasons in downtown Farmington.